What we do
The Newfoundland and Labrador Workforce Innovation Centre (NLWIC) was established in 2017 by the Provincial Government and is administered by the College of the North Atlantic. NLWIC provides a co-ordinated, central point of access to engage government, career and employment services providers, skills development organizations and stakeholders in the business and community sectors throughout the province. Funding is provided by the Department of Advanced Education, Skills and Labour (AESL) under the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Labour Market Development Agreement – Newfoundland and Labrador Research and Innovation Program (NLRI).
The Centre’s goal is to support the research, testing, and sharing of ideas and models of innovation in workforce development that will positively impact employability, entrepreneurship, and attachment to the workforce In Newfoundland and Labrador.
What are our research priorities?
Our research priorities are determined by the Department of Advanced Education, Skills and Labour through the Newfoundland and Labrador Research and Innovation program. This year’s priorities include:
- Strengthening apprenticeship programs.
- Enhancing essential skills such as literacy and technological abilities.
- Providing improved supports to older workers, persons with disabilities, income support clients, and to individuals living in rural and remote regions.
- Increasing the participation rate of under-represented groups in the workforce. Groups include: persons with disabilities, women, Indigenous Peoples, youth, immigrants and refugees.
- Exploring benefits, programs and/or services that support individuals in making long-term attachment to the workforce.
- Preparing individuals and industries for “jobs of the future”.
Projects will be further prioritized to those sectors identified in the provincial government vision document The Way Forward.
Who can apply for funding?
- Community organizations
- Municipal Governments
- Band/tribal councils & Indigenous Organizations
- Crown Corporations
- Public Health & Educational Institutions
Not sure if you made the list? Contact us, our research funding is accessible to lots of organizations with great ideas!